Globe: Past 24 hours
Globe: Past week
Globe: Past month
Globe: Past 3 months
Globe: Past year
Go back to main page.
(Unofficial) Record-breaking temperatures across the Globe
(Unofficial) Record-breaking temperature across the Globe
Global animation over the past year
(note this seven-minute movie may take a while to load)
- The source of the historical data here is the NCDC GSOD (updated through 2016 as of 16 January 2017).
- The records are defined here using GMT, with the day resetting at 00GMT (7PM EST;8PM EDT).
- These records are NOT official and differ from official records that use a longer database and local (not GMT) time.
- Only cities having an NCDC GSOD recorded history of at least 35 years are shown here.
- With the additional year of data available (2016), 284 new stations (for a total of 3287) now meet the 35 year minimum record.
- Of the now 1.2 million daily extremes in the database, approximately 70,000 were set in 2016 (~ 6%).
- Note that given the relatively short record used here (as small as 35 years), records will almost assuredly be set somewhere every day for the next several decades to centuries.
- Appreciation to R. Maue, among several others, for feedback.